Location: Westland, Michigan, United States

Graduate of Walsh Institute Of Accountancy (Now Walsh College) Michigan in 1959. Retired in 1987, but still active in the profession **World War II Veteran (Pacific) **PHONE 734-261-1979 **E-MAIL **(Domain Name CPASENSE Registered) **Mentioned in the Journal of Accountancy, SmartPros, Tax Prof Blog, CPA2BIZ, CPA Journal, AccountingWEB, CPATrendlines & More **Search Accounting Blogs: (Includes cpasense)**TOPICS - FINANCE - FEDERAL & MICHIGAN TAXES ** Making Sense Of Your Finance & Taxes

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Advance Directives. Living Wills

Someday, you may become too sick to make your own decisions about your medical care. If that happens, then decisions will have to be made for you. If you have not given any instructions, no one will know what you would have decided.
University Of Michigan Health

Friday, April 22, 2005

MORTGAGE RISK . . . With house prices still rapidly increasing in many areas of the country, more than a few new buyers and homeowners are stretching their limits on original and home equity loans. While prices could continue to rise, there's no guarantee. If you haven't been through a down cycle, you don't know what to expect. Some buyers in the late 80's didn't see the price recover till the mid-90's. Some buyers in the peak of the 70's and 80's walked away from the house rather than continue to make mortgage payments on a property that had shrunk over 15% in value. Your home is just that. It's not an unlimited source of equity. Don't mortgage your home to invest in stocks or other risky ventures. Using a home equity loan to consolidate and eliminate credit card debt does make sense--but only if you don't start spending on those cards anew.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Disaster Mitigation Grants Exempt from Tax
New law makes grants tax free. Those who paid tax on their grants may be eligible for a refund.

Big Refund? Big Tax Bill?
Change your withholding now to bring the tax you pay closer to the tax you owe.

Monday, April 18, 2005

FAQs About Amending Your Tax Return
It can happen to the best of us. You just filed your tax return and realize that you made a mistake. Don’t panic. According to the Michigan Association of CPAs, you can file an amended return to correct your error. Here are the answers to questions that are often asked about filing an amended tax return....-MORE-

Saturday, April 16, 2005

If you’ve been audited by the Internal Revenue Service and, as a result, asked to ante up more tax dollars, don’t panic. If you believe you paid the correct amount of tax, consider appealing to the IRS, suggests the Michigan Association of CPAs. In addition to the outcomes of tax audits, there are a number of other findings you can appeal, including penalties and interest, employment tax adjustments, and collection actions such as liens, levies, seizures, and rejected offers-in-compromise. You may appeal most IRS decisions with your local Appeals Office. Here’s some information to help you understand the appeals process....-MORE-

Investors: If It's Too Good To Be True, Call OFIS
Michigan Office Of Financial And Insurance Services

Your Access to Free Credit Reports
A FTC Facts for Consumers educating the public about their right to a free copy of their credit reports.

AG Cox Urges Vigilance in Wake of Recent Personal Information Security Breaches Attorney General Cox Advises Consumers to Order Free Credit Reports To Prevent Identity Theft