Location: Westland, Michigan, United States

Graduate of Walsh Institute Of Accountancy (Now Walsh College) Michigan in 1959. Retired in 1987, but still active in the profession **World War II Veteran (Pacific) **PHONE 734-261-1979 **E-MAIL **(Domain Name CPASENSE Registered) **Mentioned in the Journal of Accountancy, SmartPros, Tax Prof Blog, CPA2BIZ, CPA Journal, AccountingWEB, CPATrendlines & More **Search Accounting Blogs: (Includes cpasense)**TOPICS - FINANCE - FEDERAL & MICHIGAN TAXES ** Making Sense Of Your Finance & Taxes

Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Child Of Divorced Parents Can Be A Dependent Of Both For Limited Purposes

the Service says

If a noncustodial parent wants to claim the child as a dependent for health savings account purposes, he can do so, even though the custodial parent doesn't release the exemption.

Similar rules also apply for employer medical plans, medical savings accounts and fringe benefits.

But the Service makes clear that both spouses are not able to claim dependency exemptions for the same child.

Internal Revenue Service


Post a Comment

<< Home